Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DaltonR121 G5 Build

Go down 
+3
MotownG5
Blacked Out
DaltonR121
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DaltonR121
DaltonR121

DaltonR121 G5 Build Empty
PostSubject: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:58 am

So up to this point, I haven't done anything to my car. It's a completely stock 2007 Pontiac G5 GT.

I ordered a carbon fiber hood tonight and tomorrow I'm going to ATTEMPT to paint the wheels and calipers. Seems like it should be a simple project. Ran out and grabbed some jack stands tonight. I'm gonna pull the wheels off and do them and the calipers at the same time. I grabbed paint thinner and brushes to clean both up. I'm gonna grab some caliper cleaner and blue caliper paint tomorrow at Advance and get started. I'll be sure to try to take lots of pictures along the way and post them tomorrow evening or Monday.

Any helpful tips or things I should watch out for? I appreciate it.

Here is the hood also:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 am

Hood looks great, there are a few threads on here about painting calipers and drums if you need info on it.
It was nice to meet you yesterday man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 am

good luck with the build man... and it was nice to meet you as well
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 am

that hood looks great... good luck with everything.... and make sure you give everything ample time to dry....
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaltonR121
DaltonR121

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm

So it was coming along pretty good today until I just simply used too much paint on one coat on the wheels and it got some runs in it. I tend to be a perfectionist so I'm starting over hah. The calipers are coming along nicely. I bowl on a league so I'm going to go bowling, come home, sand the wheels, and start back at square one. Hopefully I'll be done and have some good pictures to throw up tomorrow evening.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 pm

DaltonR121 wrote:
So it was coming along pretty good today until I just simply used too much paint on one coat on the wheels and it got some runs in it. I tend to be a perfectionist so I'm starting over hah. The calipers are coming along nicely. I bowl on a league so I'm going to go bowling, come home, sand the wheels, and start back at square one. Hopefully I'll be done and have some good pictures to throw up tomorrow evening.

May I suggest you go to the place here in Morgantown that powdercoats wheels any color you want (all 4) for 200.00.
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:01 pm

hood looks good, should look great installed. i agree with scott on the powdercoating unless you really want to diy
Back to top Go down
DaltonR121
DaltonR121

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:41 pm

I might do that. I'll do this as a temporary solution for now at least. I was wanting to more or less do it myself as a solution for now to save money. I got this car when I was 16 and have skinned the wheels to hell. I THINK I'm going to get new wheels in the very near future but I'm not entirely sure yet. I leave July 7th and come back August 7th for the Army so I SHOULD have some spare change once I get back that I can drop into the car. I'm hoping to get an exhaust and new front bumper once I get back. I would also like to get new wheels, headlight assemblies, and the LED lights under the headlights but I don't know if I'll come home with THAT much. I JUST DON'T KNOW! Hah. It's so overwhelming. I don't know where to start.
Back to top Go down
DaltonR121
DaltonR121

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 4:24 pm

So I actually only have one wheel done so far hah. My mom needed her garage back. I'm working on the rest again tonight. I didn't have to time to finish everything up. Here is a picture of the one wheel.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also need a little help.

1. My sunroof button has done something strange. The plastic piece that was mounted around it fell out and won't stay up there. The button is also somewhat pushed up into the roof. Any advice? Here are some pictures.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

2. I have a sticker on my back glass from high school. What is the best way to get it off without damaging the defrosting strip thing?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Wheel looks good!

It looks like the mounting clips are still on the peice that fell off. So are they broke where it attaches to the car?

To get that sticker off I would put some adhesive remover on it and see if it comes off. If not carefully use a razor blade to get the majority of it off inbetween the defrosters. Then the adhesive remover should get the remaining.
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey Ryan! Goo Gone works wonders on those stickers. Why have you waited so long to get rid of it? The first thing I did the morning after graduation was attack the parking pass with a knife and Goo Gone, lol.
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Alex98CVPI wrote:
Hey Ryan! Goo Gone works wonders on those stickers. Why have you waited so long to get rid of it? The first thing I did the morning after graduation was attack the parking pass with a knife and Goo Gone, lol.

I love goo gone... after Carlisle I had pine sap all over my hood.. and it took it right off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I agree with these guys. goo gone works wonders. wheel is lookin good there too
Back to top Go down
DaltonR121
DaltonR121

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah, I took goo gone to it and it just didn't quite do the trick. I tried a razor blade but it's such an awkward place to try to maneuver back there hah. I'm just gonna have to be really careful with that razor. I appreciate it! I don't know why I left it on. That one is from sophomore year hah. I got my license right at the beginning of the second semester that year. Junior and senior year they went to the bottom right corner of the windshield so those were easy to get off.

As far as the sunroof goes, I might just take it to Premier where I bought it and ask them to check it out. It shouldn't take any parts because you're right, the clips all seem to still be in tact. I need to finish up those other 3 wheels. I definitely will before Friday for the Devoted meet.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:42 pm

our cobalt sunroof button did the same thing... we were going to bring it to the garage and have them fix it, but we ended up selling before we had to do it... after talking to the lady she said it wasn't expensive at all to fix i think it ended up being like $30...

Wheel looks real good....
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Heat it with a heat gun. Then just scrape it off with a credit card. THen use googone to remove the adhesive.
It will become soft with a heat gun and then just fall off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DaltonR121 G5 Build   DaltonR121 G5 Build I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DaltonR121 G5 Build
Page 1 of 1