Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...

Go down 
+9
WrightHeight
hotrod873
cavyman17
dlinsbeck
D-Rod
MotownG5
SolSister
Snaxx
Blacked Out
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   Empty
PostSubject: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Apparently, somewhere between Sabraton and my house, the DOT felt it neccesary to repaint the road and not put up any signs or anything else. I honestly don't remember there even being brighter lines anywhere, but I went to the bank and the DMV and when I got to the DMV and got out of the car. I found yellow paint all over the side, on the wheels, in the fenders.. litterally I think I hyperventalated.

I drove home, sprayed all the paint with graffiti remover from lowes and it softened it up enough that it would come off without scrubbing/scratching the car. It took about 3 hours to get off the car, but its scratch free and I am glad. Clean up the wheels also, thank god they were polished with a fresh coat of mothers on them so they had some protectant. I advise keeping your stuff waxed and polished so if something like this happens to you it does not bond to your vehicle.

The only down side to this, is I can't get it out of the tread.. anyone got any ideas? I tried, but its caked in there and wont release.

:20:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by BigWheel on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
Snaxx
Snaxx

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!! That sucks Scott..I might have some stuff that will take off the yellow paint on the tires.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm

I contacted the DOH, which referred me to their contractor that paints for them.
Then They asked me to send em pics, and they would see what they can do.

:36:
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
SolSister
ScottHofferPhotography's Wife
SolSister

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 pm

THIS MAKES ME PHYSICALLY SICK!! :censored:
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

as far as the tires use whesley's bleach white for white lettered tires and a wire brush... that's what we use and it does pretty good to take that stuff off the rubber
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Glad you got it off!
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Yea. Glad to see that it turned out good. That sucks. I think I would have driven my car through the DOH office if it were me!
Back to top Go down
cavyman17
cavyman17

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm

glad to see you got it off, and just so you know i also seen them painting by the hos[itals too
Back to top Go down
hotrod873
hotrod873

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

That would make me so mad. I would be after someone's hide. I am glad you got that yellow paint off.
Back to top Go down
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 7:07 am

i like the new flame addition to the car- lol...

glad you got it off the car.... the stuff on the tire will eventually disappear over time from wear but also have the chance of throwing stuff back on the car.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
Orion-Jim
Orion-Jim

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 am

glad you got it off scott but if you didnt i have a friend that had this happon and they had to paint his car
Back to top Go down
http://www.absoluteillusions.org
Gixxer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
Gixxer

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 am

glad you got it off. I use to have this sweet pressure washer that had a water heater built in. a friend's truck did the same thing you did and I just cranked up the heat and all the paint came off without any chemicals. so maybe try some hot water with that bleach that aaron mentioned? maybe some paint thinner?
Back to top Go down
DarkFlame

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 am

Holy crap! I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs if that happened to me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
StitchWerx
500 Post Club
500 Post Club
StitchWerx

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:55 pm

We use just a regular buffer and some compound that usually does the trick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stitchwerx.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...    How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...   I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to remove DOT paint off a solstice, or any car...
Page 1 of 1