Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

L.E.D. Parking / Running Light

Go down 
+2
MotownG5
bobdogwv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

L.E.D. Parking / Running Light Empty
PostSubject: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Tonight I decided to play around with a 24" set of red LED lights that I had laying around. I decided to try to use them as an addition tail/parking light. I added the led strip to the bottom of the functional spoiler on the Porsche. With the spoiler in the open or closed position the lights are still visible. What do you all think, should I leave them there or does it take away from the original style of the car???

Pic with the spoiler down:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And one with the spoiler in the up position:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 pm

they don't look bad... how do they fasten? I don't know that I would use the adhesive on my paint unless it was gonna be permanent
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm

It was adhesive, good news it there was a nice 1/4" lip under the spoiler that is plastic, gave me just enough room to tuck the lights away so they aren't visible in the daylight. I would never ever stick that directly onto the paint. In the picture with the spoiler in the up position, you are actually seeing the reflection of the led's on the paint from under the spoiler. I will take a better picture in the daylight.
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Looks good! I would say keep them. I love the looks of the Boxster! My brother had one the year they first came out. He sold it a month after buying it since I beat him in my old Foxbody! I laughed cause he went and bought a Mustang Cobra!
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks! Yeah, she isn't a speed demon by any means. More top end then anything, but man you can take any turn you want at any speed practically, and she will stay planted!
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Here is an extremely crappy picture with some light and the tail down. You can't see the LED's at all with the spoiler closed.

But with the lights on they come to life.

Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm

nice, I'd say keep em
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Keep em. I likeit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:20 pm

i agree, keep them
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just popped in to this forum...

Keep them on, but here's a thought: put some frosted (tape/plastic/something) over the strip so that you get less spotting on the reflection from the LEDs. When the spoiler is down it's less evident but when it's up you can see too much spotty reflection.
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 pm

That's a good idea, I will have to see what I can find to try that out.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Here's the DIY answer, but there may be something easier that's just not coming to me at the moment.

Take a piece of fluorescent light diffuser, cut a thin (1" or less) strip that's about the right length, hit it with a heat gun and mold it around an appropriately sized dowel. Then you've made yourself a nice curved diffuser that looks made to order.
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Genius, I will have to give that a try when I have some extra time. I know I have seen people use those as replacement tail light lenses on older cars, never even crossed my mind to try that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: L.E.D. Parking / Running Light   L.E.D. Parking / Running Light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

L.E.D. Parking / Running Light
Page 1 of 1