Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting Drums

Go down 
+2
Snaxx
Blacked Out
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:52 am

Well, Im home without work and Cavyman17 is in need of painted brake drums for the back of his Cavalier. Snaxx dropped them off this morning and man were they nasty.

First I soaked them in some kinda cleaner that snaxx brought over, but that would not loosen the rust on them, they were also cast and had tons of little bumps on them that you can see in the photos below. Those bumps would make a rough paint finish, and also look like crap. They would not be leaving just buy a cleaner, so I skipped the step of wire brushing them and went straight to the 4" grinder smoothing them out. Once I got them smooth and free of bumps from the casting mold, I wire brushed them out to a rust free finish, then cleaned them with alcohol and blowed them dry with the air compressor. From there I used brush on paint from Duplicolor and painted them red. Once completed I have 5 coats of red on them and they are waiting in the garage to be picked up tonight by Cavyman17 (Eric).

Photos below of the process from before to after.

Soaking in the cleaner

Painting Drums IMAG1123

Bumps in the casting

Painting Drums IMAG1124

Nasty eh
Painting Drums IMAG1125

Quick run with the grinder
Painting Drums IMAG1126

Painting Drums IMAG1127

Painting Drums IMAG1128

Before and after the first pass with the grinder.

Painting Drums IMAG1129

Painting Drums IMAG1131

After the second pass using the wire brush.

Painting Drums IMAG1132

Ready for paint?

Painting Drums IMAG1133

First coat of paint and the before drum.

Painting Drums IMAG1134

Two coats of paint.

Painting Drums IMAG1135

Three coats of paint

Painting Drums IMAG1136

Grinding off the bumps on the second drum.

Painting Drums IMAG1138

Ready for paint on the second drum?

Painting Drums IMAG1139

4th coat of paint

Painting Drums IMAG1140

5 coats of paint and completed.

Painting Drums IMAG1141

Last edited by ScottHofferPhotography on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
Snaxx
Snaxx

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks Scott for helping out...I really Appreciate It..
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 11:53 am

that must have been a fun afternoon project. they both look good. how long did it take you?
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 12:14 pm

3 hours.
Back to top Go down
SolSister
ScottHofferPhotography's Wife
SolSister

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Looks good Scotty boy. Eric should be pleased!
Back to top Go down
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:28 pm

why don't you come down and pick the camaro up and get the calipers painted for me... lol....

looks real good im sure eric will love it...
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Bring it to me and I will do it. Get Tara to drive you back home in the trailblazer. After I get done painting them I can make sure the paint wont melt off, Ill put some miles on it for you. :devil:
Back to top Go down
cavyman17
cavyman17

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 pm

the calipers look really good thanks scott for such a great job on those. they look really good behind my wheels, would look even better if the fronts we done to match but that's another days project i will post pics when i get a chance
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm

cavyman17 wrote:
the calipers look really good thanks scott for such a great job on those. they look really good behind my wheels, would look even better if the fronts we done to match but that's another days project i will post pics when i get a chance

Ur welcome. But they are drums... lol.
Back to top Go down
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 pm

ScottHofferPhotography wrote:
Bring it to me and I will do it. Get Tara to drive you back home in the trailblazer. After I get done painting them I can make sure the paint wont melt off, Ill put some miles on it for you. Painting Drums 544601

would but the tb just shit itself... not bad though just got the runs.... lol alt. went out on it today... driving home from the b-ball tournament and a/c quit and started reading battery not charging and i hit every damn red light no the way home and it would drop below the 9 reading... i was sure if i could keep it running that i wouldn't have a problem when i started to drive... got it home and shut it down and went to turn it right back on and nothing....
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
Sponsored content

Painting Drums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Drums   Painting Drums I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting Drums
Page 1 of 1