Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

struts and springs vs. coilovers

Go down 
+2
jolly roger
D-Rod
6 posters
AuthorMessage

struts and springs vs. coilovers Empty
PostSubject: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 pm

would like opinions on a classic question, coilovers vs. struts and springs on a 1991 accord se. here's the story bought an apparent p.o.s. as a project car ( Has H22a plans ). had it at the shop and was advised to replace pretty much everything. lol. the front has coilovers and the rear has oem struts. looking for any input from you guys regarding pros and cons of either system. thanks rc-13
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Im not an expert.....actually I dont know much about the subject at all but I think coilover are a little better and will help eliminate wheelhop as well as better handleing.
Back to top Go down
jolly roger
jolly roger

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Im not a expert either but i'll go with what d-rod said... I've seen them both used in racing setups..
Back to top Go down
Gixxer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
Gixxer

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

I have dspec struts with epic springs on my wrx. I did this b/c its my dd and i wanted to drop it some but also not affect the ride quality to much. It improved the handling greatly and the g/f doesn't bitch about the ride.

If your wanting to have a more adjustable ride height and dont care about the ride quality then coils are for you.

I dont know much about hondas suspension though so maybe some honda guys can chime in.
Back to top Go down
Southtown57
Southtown57

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Not sure about coils for honda's but for my SS racing springs along with my struts produced better handling than coilovers.
Back to top Go down
wv_wagon

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I tried posting this earilier and the damn thing timed out so lets try this again.

First off, you're in luck because your car has UNLIMITED different setups when it comes to suspensions so the first thing you want to ask yourself is, what will you be using your car for?

Will it be a daily driver, auto-x, track, drag, etc.? This alone determines the type of setup you should look at.

Second question you should ask is, how much am I willing to pay? Suspension can range from $500-$2500+, and if nothing else, don't cheap out on some cheap ebay coilover setup. There is nothing worse than a car riding around with blown struts.

Suspension options:

Strut/Spring/Coilover Combo:

Some people choose to go a strut with spring route, or a strut with a coilover route. From here there are two options, strut cartridge inserts that go into the stock strut housing and then mating them to a spring/coilover, or a full strut replacement like Gixxer mentioned with a spring/coilover combo. What is most important when doing this is matching spring rates to the strut. RESEARCH is key. You also have the option to go with camber plates with this setup if you choose to spend the extra $$$.

Full coilover setup:
Here is where you can get into some serious money. Multiple levels of adjustment, various spring rate options, etc.
Basic coilover setups include: Full coilover setup excluding camber plates and pillowball mounts. Picture a full coilover (strut and spring) setup where you use your stock strut mounts. Various levels of rebound and damping adjustments exist. Expect 1k plus.

Full Coilover setup with camber plates/pillowball mounts:
Picture the above with camber plates and pillowball mounts. Pillowball mounts are a godsend in the coilover world. It truly makes coilover suspensions so choice. If you are not familiar with pillow ball mounts imagine a socket joint much like your knee riding in between the strut mount and strut housing. Camber plates allow you to adjust your camber for track days and truly take suspension tuning to the max. You can also choose to add EDFC (electronic dampening controlled from a dial inside your car), popular with Tein suspensions.

As you can see this is a very generic post but I am not familiar with suspension setups in the Honda world, the concepts above apply to all cars.

Keys to remember: How much will I spend? What do I want it to do?

I prefer full coilover suspensions, but I also don't care to pay the $$ for the setup I want. I have ran both and that is my preference. All my cars are built for auto-x/dd duty and I have always found the setup that was right for me. Do some searching around the Honda forums and you will have 15 plus years of knowledge and experience with companies/setups.

Some popular companies to look at: Tein, Eibach, Koni, etc.

A suspension is not just about the parts themselves.I saw people drop $5k on suspensions and them bounce up and down the highway like a bouncy ball. Proper matching of struts to springs, proper spring rates, etc. All come into play. Add strut bars, proper sway bars, etc. and you can build a car that handles like it is on rails.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamhardyboys.com
Thelobster
Thelobster

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I think the biggest thing is

matched spring rate with shock with the short shock body.

I have ran struts/coil over combos

and now i run a 36 way adjustable coilover which i have pretty low...and the ride quality/handling is night and day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: struts and springs vs. coilovers   struts and springs vs. coilovers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

struts and springs vs. coilovers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Cars, Trucks, Vans, & SUVs :: Handling / Chassis / Suspension / Brakes / Steering-
Jump to: