Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  Empty
PostSubject: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After the Scion FR-S, Toyota is far from done making fun and sporty cars. According to Toyota engineer Tetsuya Tada, the man largely responsible for developing the Toyobaru 2+2 triplets, successors to the Supra and the MR2 remain possibilities in the automaker’s future.
It’s no secret that Toyota president Akio Toyoda has been pushing for a new Supra. During a recent interview with Singapore-based AsiaOne.com, Tada admitted that Toyoda has asked him to spearhead the project and develop the Supra successor “as soon as possible.” How soon? He claims it won’t be ready for at least five years, which is about how long it took him to develop the Toyota 86. Less sporty mainstream cars may take about three years in development, but Tada notes that sometimes sports cars need “special parts,” which extends the process to about five years.
Enthusiasts hoping for another inline-six-powered rear-drive coupe like the MKIV Supra maybe disappointed. Tada didn’t share what he has planned, but current rumors point towards an all-new all-wheel-drive hybrid powertrain that will include a 3.5-liter V-6, continuously variable transmission, and electric motors for a combined output of at least 400 hp. Additionally, the engine is said to be mid-mounted, mirroring the layout we’ve already seen in upcoming future supercars like the Acura NSX and Porsche 918 Spyder.
Plans for the MR2 are less clear. Tada says the next MR2 would likely launch after the Supra and would slot below the Toyota 86 in the automaker’s sports car hierarchy. That said, it will likely retain its mid-engine, rear-drive layout with power coming from a naturally aspirated inline-four. Tada claims the Supra and MR2 mark the automaker’s renewed focus beyond selling cars simply for volume and profit.
“So this is a new business model,” Tada said to AsiaOne.com. “When customers buy a car, it creates a new bond between the manufacturer and the owner – we do not just profit from selling the car.”
Source: AsiaOne.com

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
successors-291229.html#ixzz2CF7j1hP9

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
StitchWerx
500 Post Club
500 Post Club
StitchWerx

PostSubject: Re: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm

looks sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.stitchwerx.com
r/tguy02
r/tguy02

PostSubject: Re: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 am

hybrid eh... didnt see that coming.
Back to top Go down
http://neontuners.com
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 am

I'd still drive the piss out of it![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 am

I don't know why it hasn't been done, but a hybrid+turbo setup seems super logical to me. Use your electric motors for that low-end instant HP, and then cut off by 3000rpm (or whatever) and get your power from the turbo instead. Yeah 400 combined HP sounds great, but what about 400 motor+electric through 3000rpm and then a switch to motor+turbo thereafter sounds phenomenal.

You could put a fairly huge turbo on this, like GT35 sized because spooling won't be an issue. You can easily pump 600HP out of one of those and never worry about lag if you're cranking out electric motor power from the start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors    Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toyota GT86 Engineer Upbeat about Potential Supra and MR2 Successors
Page 1 of 1