Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The rebuild of my Z.

Go down 
+7
Gixxer
jolly roger
tkromer
91foxbody
D-Rod
MotownG5
Tygur
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Tygur

The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:44 pm

One last post today. This one actually looks like progress. A test fit of the drivers side head/valve cover/headers. Everything fits almost perfectly, the headers had to be coaxed onto the bolts a bit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Well I said 1 more post, guess I'll make it 2. That side looked so promising, I wanted to mock up the whole thing and make sure it would fit. Turns out the passenger side header pretty much touches the main conduit of wiring for the engine, among some other things. So will have to figure that out and grind some excess crap off of the intake manifold. Apart from that, should be good.

Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 am

Progress is progress!

This will be a pretty cool car all said and done.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Ugh setbacks. The grinder couldn't handle it. May be that it was a 25 year old hand-me-down, but it went out spectacularly in a cloud of smoke. Gotta find a way to finish grinding the intake manifold somehow. Sad
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm

tkromer wrote:
Progress is progress!

This will be a pretty cool car all said and done.

agreed! awesome build thread
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. The honest goal was just to get it running again but the aftermarket performance stuff was way cheaper than replacement stock parts haha. I have no idea if the bottom end will give out on me or the clutch won't hold, or some of the emissions stuff I removed will cause issues (it shouldn't though) so fingers crossed on a lot of things. Another couple weeks and things should start really picking up.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 pm

So happy we don't live in PA or other state with emissions laws. Catalytic converters are overrated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Haha true but I can't stand the sound of a car without one, they are always so raspy. Is why I'm re-using the magnaflow one I got a while back. And I'm jealous of PA for 1 reason: Tiger license plates! Want! All the Ohio ones look awful and you have to put one on the front, too.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Oh and when I had it in WV I actually had a cooler plate:

Back to top Go down
MotownG5
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:36 pm

tkromer wrote:
So happy we don't live in PA or other state with emissions laws. Catalytic converters are overrated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We don't have emissions laws but for WV state inspection, if the vehicle came originally equipped it has to be there to pass inspection.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah that kinda sucked. Had to resort to stealthy blockoffs and hollowed-out cats unless you knew the right people. Over here there isn't any kind of inspection. Pay your tax for the plate sticker and thats all. But they can pull you over if they thing the vehicle looks unsafe and if they find out you don't have the factory emissions stuff you can get major fines. Still, its better here haha.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 pm

OK things are set to start moving. CAMS ARE HERE! Woohoo! Give me a couple weeks and it should take shape. Lots of things to do now. Mean

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Another day another minor step.

The thing doesn't want to be garaged and covered in dust and cat prints, especially on such a nice day.

New grinder. Got the intake fit. Still want to make it look nice but at least it fits for now.

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm

So, things are getting settled. Got pretty much all the parts now. Cleaned the block surface today, pretty much no way not to get graphite shavings everywhere, looking for some sort of shop vac to suck out the crap from some of the passages and the cylinders. But got the cams set up and put in the heads today and some hoses and such, got the intake piping sorted out. Got the odds and ends screws. Little bit of cleaning and some paint on a few parts and the whole thing is ready to go together. Once I get that shop vac, I could have it done in a day or 2, depending on what parts I may need. Found out that frankensteining 4 different cars' parts together makes you take trips to the hardware store quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Well I was super busy this weekend. I got the Schneider cams installed to the heads, the timing back plate grinded up a bit (since it had to be cut to take the heads off the way I did it, I see a lot of Z31 owners cut it), so I took the middle section that connects the heads together and ground it off, and took off the top half of the front of the cover on each side so I can see the gears and belt a little bit while its running, and check for stretch in the belt. And finally, I went on an all out de-grease, surface and cylinder wall clean so as to get out all the crap that fell in when I took off the heads and cleaned the gasket off. As of now, the heads are pretty much ready to go on, with a bit of work needed on passenger side to fit the new header around several major wire conduits (ugh). SO heres the cleaned block surface.

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:15 am

Hope I'm not getting annoying. Got some other things done tonight. Painted the timing covers and plates to match the valve covers. Painted the timing gears blue.

Installed. The. Damn. Drivers. Side. Head. Beatup
and headers. Dead

Put the headers on before I installed the head, got the O2 sensor in there, and pressure tested it. Small leak on the back flange. Had to tighten the hell out of it, now its a very very small leak. If I tighten it any more, the bolt will snap. And that may happen anyway when it warms up and swells, I've heard horror stories about it happening to every single person that has worked on them, stock or aftermarket.

Anyway, actually having a cylinder head installed is finally real progress, and I may be able to finally sleep tonight haha.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 am

You'll be running in a couple of days (if you get the wiring done)!
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Still need a water pump and the engine and gear oil and antifreeze. But speaking of wiring, heres a comparison of how its getting re-done. Thankfully my first jobs and training were in computer A+ and electrician stuff so I'm not intimidated by wiring.

On the bottom is the condition of probably 80% of the engine bay wiring. Corroded and burned/melted. The top is the re-spliced wire with heat shielding. This particular one donated a nice right-angle connector from an early 90s Pathfinder's secondary air control. Works a ton better than the original and keeps it away from the hot area that was problematic previously.

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Retrospect pic. When I got it and I fixed a couple things to get it running. It was silver, but the original color is what the engine bay was. I still like the rat-rod style black mess that it is now. So this is basically the before pic of the engine.

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Welp I cant get in to beat the firewall back 4 inches to get the headers to fit. Bolt-on my ass. Also it looks like cylinder 5 wall is showing pitting around the top. I can't afford anymore into this project so I have no choice but to get it together and hope for the best. Mad
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 am

damn man, good luck! Yea, some of those supposed to be bolt ons take more modification than just fabing one of your own... always love that
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am

Hope you get it up and running soon! You've made a lot of progress in a little time!
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks guys, you keep my sanity haha. Was a bit cold today but I had to do something, so I banged the crap out of the firewall, and found out I needed to remove a bracket that was on one of the bellhousing bolts. Looks like the passenger side head and headers fit nicely now. Gotta figure out how to move the wires away, though. Its touching wires for oil pressure sender, speed sensor, alternator main and some others which obviously would ruin my day if they melted.

I don't know what to think of the whole rough cylinder sidewall thing. Its only the one cylinder. I certainly can't do a thing about it now, but that particular one seems to do as good as the others on leakdown. So hopefully it will last long enough to get some use out of it. If I have to rebuild the bottom end sometime in the future, rest assured it will get a Pathfinder 3.3 block, bored, with a stroker cam from a z32 and high compression pistons. Someone else has run this setup, its all pretty much bolt on and machine shop, pretty cheap comparitively, and from the dynos I've seen, nets somewhere around 250hp at the wheels, probably 270-280ish at the crank. But hopefully I won't have to worry about that for a while, and those series engines are dirt cheap and fairly plentiful.
Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Couple more pics. Haven't had time to work on it much, weekdays are pretty busy.

First off, here is how tight that passenger side header fit is. PITA

And here is how beautifully they come out under the car.

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Bored so I'm gonna throw up the dyno charts from someone who did a similar thing. Known as Russ84na on forums.

Completely stock 300ZX. He says: "This is a base line pull for a bone stock VG30NA. I bought the car new in 84, it had less than 100K on it when I did the pull. I got the same results on an 84 slicktop with 206K miles on it."

This one is with a K&N filter, and a full exhaust setup similar to mine, different muffler and without the aftermarket cams. "This is the base line in red. The blue is with K&N filter, MSA headers, free flow cat and magna flow muffler with custom 2 1/2" exhaust"

This one is with a slight timing advance and all the mods from the last one.

This is "all out". Don't know exactly whats on this, but I expect it to be just a bit higher than what mine can come up with, since, in the previous one, I still have a better intake plenum and the stage 2 cams over his setup. This last one may have high compression pistons or a stroker crank or who knows, but its promising.

I think with all this info, if I get mine running well enough, I'm expecting it to put down somewhere in the area of 180-190hp at the wheels, which is more that the stock turbo engine. And as you can see, the power comes on early and is pretty much always there.

Here is a video of just how quick his Z was after all these mods, and the sound is absolutely awesome:

Back to top Go down
Tygur
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Whats up world! Another day another challenge! And what a challenge it was. Cut off the rest of the old exhaust.I got the passenger side head prepped and installed finally. Got the water pump and some of the piping cleaned up and put back on. (Couldn't get my hands on a new water pump so this will do for now, it was perfectly fine before) And I checked the y-pipes and it turns out, they don't fit. They hit a crossmember and the bolts that came with are too small and not enough washers were included. So time for some fun next time I get out there. Can barely fit under the car as it is, may have to take it to a shop.

Anyway, here are a couple comparison shots of the old and new exhaust. The difference is quite obvious, and the sad part is, the old one was done by a shop, done crappily, and done with too small diameter pipe. The dude just started putting stuff on before he asked me what I wanted, then when I brought it up, he insisted that a larger pipe wouldn't fit. Total cost of his idiot job: 200$.

Here is the current engine progress:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The rebuild of my Z.   The rebuild of my Z. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The rebuild of my Z.
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next