FCP HomeHomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club

PostSubject: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DETROIT — The 2012 North American International Auto Show has barely opened to the international press, and already the hottest rumor on the show floor is that Chrysler/Fiat is working on a replacement for the Dodge Challenger. It will be called Barracuda (though probably not Plymouth) and could be ready in time to launch for the original’s 50th anniversary, which would be a couple of months before the Ford Mustang’s 50th anniversary in April 2014 and the launch of that new car.
Two unimpeachable — though not inside — sources have told me about the Barracuda. The Dodge Challenger is the most literal interpretation of its ancestor. Because it uses the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300 platform, it has the high front cowl of those two large sedans, and so its overall length is considerably longer than the 1970-74 Challenger, which already was the biggest car in its class. That Challenger shared its platform with the 1970-74 Barracuda, but with a stretched wheelbase.
The ’74 Challenger was followed by a Mitsubishi-sourced coupe because it needed to be more fuel efficient to get through mid-decade gas prices. There is no way to follow up the current Challenger without either changing everything but the sheetmetal, or fully redesigning it to make it look nothing like the ’70-’74/’08-current model. If Chrysler is going to redesign it, why not make it a radical departure?
A 2014 Barracuda would be much shorter, lighter and smaller overall than the current car, something we’re hoping to see from the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro. It would not use the new Charger/300′s LY platform, but would be on a shorter rear-wheel-drive platform, probably something closer to the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
What makes this scenario economically plausible is that such a platform also would serve Alfa Romeo well, with a new moderately priced RWD platform for a sports car and sports coupe. The question is whether the platform would package a V-8 for the Barracuda as well as a small, high-output and probably breathed-on turbo four for Alfa.
The Dodge Challenger launched in the 2008 model year, which means a five year cycle would end with MY13. A new Barracuda would launch in the 2014 model year. Ford plans to unveil an all-new Mustang in Spring of 2014 as a 2015 model. The original Mustang made its debut in April 1964 at the New York Auto Show as a ’65 model.
One source speculates that the new Barracuda would borrow a number of cues from the original, fastback Valiant model, all the way through the 1970-74 model, when the Barracuda converged with the Challenger and no longer used the Valiant platform. Will the new car be a fastback, like the 1964-66 model, or a notchback, like the ’70-’74, or both, like the ’67-’69?
We’d bet on the notchback, at least, because it would make it easy for Chrysler to do a convertible as well, a better way to compete with Mustang and Chevy Camaro.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

304KustomZ of Morgantown, WV
ZZperformance.com - facebook.com/304kustomz - G5club.net 
********2009 Pontiac G5 / 2004 Chevy Aveo / 2008 Tribeca********
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Could be interesting....although.....not a huge Dodge fan these days!

Back to top Go down
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 pm

dlinsbeck wrote:
Could be interesting....although.....not a huge Dodge fan these days!

agreed... could be very interesting

Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:33 am

Might be interesting, but I don't have a ton of faith just yet.

By the way, let me know what everyone wants pictures of... I'll be at the auto show Saturday. As will Adam actually. It's good to have inlaws in Detroit [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
r/tguy02

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

i just hope they dont fuck it up like the charger release. (although the newest one is better)

SRT cuda [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://neontuners.com
Alex98CVPI

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm

This has the potential to be awesome or a let down, depending on where you stand with it. I'd like to see them bring back the pony car formula. Small car and a big V8. Let people have fun with it right out of the box.
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:35 pm

im a huge fan of the original cuda's. im eager to see what this will turn out to look like
Back to top Go down
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 am

This has all of my nope. I just know they'll screw it up if they decide to attempt a new 'cuda. Depressed
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am

2many2choose wrote:
This has all of my nope. I just know they'll screw it up if they decide to attempt a new 'cuda. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That just means your dad will have to give his a tune up and go embarass all of the "cool people" that think their new one is hot stuff.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 am

Alex98CVPI wrote:
2many2choose wrote:
This has all of my nope. I just know they'll screw it up if they decide to attempt a new 'cuda. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That just means your dad will have to give his a tune up and go embarass all of the "cool people" that think their new one is hot stuff.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BigSmile They'll have overdrive, we'll shoot past but they'll catch up eventually!
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 am

The race will be over before they have a chance to think about catching up.
Back to top Go down
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 am

I'd love to see it happen... but don't think I'd want to say goodbye to the Challenger either.

Back to top Go down
chris hoopengarner

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am

I remember reading something about this but I think there still going to keep the challenger and just make a variant of it for the chrysler name and call it the chrysler plymouth barracuda
Back to top Go down
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 pm

honestly I hope that's what they do

Back to top Go down
chris hoopengarner

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah it would be easier that way
Back to top Go down
MotownG5

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:24 pm

But if they're gonna do the 'Cuda they have to do it right.... none of this dumbed down BS like they try to pull

Back to top Go down
chris hoopengarner

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah I agree
Back to top Go down
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:58 am

I'm a big fan of classic MOPARs, but will only get my attention if its RWD, has a manual transmission option, is lightweight and has an independent rear suspension. Unfortunately that has ruled out quite a bit of cars in the last decade. At least we know they surely have the RWD part covered.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 am

Lightweight isn't a classic feature at all! The 60s Challengers and Chargers weighed more than my 2010 Evo!
Back to top Go down
chris hoopengarner

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 am

Agreed the 69 to 71 chargers were the largest of the muscle car era in length and width and weight yet it I was still considered the fastest. Not saying 425 supposed horsepower and 490 ft lbs of tourque had nothing to do with it. But chrysler had a more powerful mmotor than the hemi. 413 max wedge it originally made 600hp. But starting the engine would crack the block
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 am

Tygur wrote:
I'm a big fan of classic MOPARs, but will only get my attention if its RWD, has a manual transmission option, is lightweight and has an independent rear suspension. Unfortunately that has ruled out quite a bit of cars in the last decade. At least we know they surely have the RWD part covered.

By the way I think what you're looking for is a Sky/Solstice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2800 lbs, RWD, 260 stock horsepower (bhp) easily 300 whp for a couple grand aftermarket, and with an independent suspension. Manual or auto.
Back to top Go down
Tygur

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 pm

tkromer wrote:

By the way I think what you're looking for is a Sky/Solstice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2800 lbs, RWD, 260 stock horsepower (bhp) easily 300 whp for a couple grand aftermarket, and with an independent suspension. Manual or auto.

I see what you did there :) Yes I do like those. But my Z has me covered for now, its under 2700lbs and meets all the other requirements, and by the time I'm done, should have something in the area of 225hp at the crank. When this engine blows, I'll turbo swap it with some extras and put down probably around 400hp.

But yes The saturn sky roadsters and pontiac soltices had more of my interest than any other domestic vehicle lately. I think the new camaro is actually independent rear though? And I know the original muscle cars were heavy, but they looked so nice and sounded so good they get a pass haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger    

Back to top Go down

Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1