Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL

Go down 
+2
Blacked Out
tkromer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL Empty
PostSubject: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Anyone any good with car electronics? I don't consider myself a total newb, but I'm not confident doing this myself. I had a Viper alarm/remote start system installed in my 2000 SC1 sometime around fall 2001. I was not nearly as good with electronics or cars then as I am now, so Street Dreamz did the install. Well, it no longer picks up signal from the fob, so it thinks I'm stealing it every time I start it. Causes the alarm to go off and the 4-ways to flash. I took the alarm off, so it now just flashes the 4-ways.

I'd like to get this uninstalled so I can get back to driving my SC1 a little more. It still runs like a champ and gets 35+ mpg, so why not. I do need to fix the front bumper too, one time too many snowplowing, but cosmetics come later, just need to fix the car alarm first and go back to key-only.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Cant you just unplug the harness? or does the harness run in one side and back out the other?
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 pm

To be honest I haven't even pulled the panel and looked yet, it's tucked up in my steering column. You may be right though and it could be super easy.
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Usually, as long as the car doesn't require a special key, there are only a few wires hooked up for the alarm. You should be able to look at the module and remove it fairly easy. The only tricky part would be if there were relays for the door locks. Then you might need to find out where they are hooked up. Either way, if Street Dreamz did it right, you should be able to just snip the modules out and be back to normal.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I physically removed the alarm (speaker). So that fixes that noise. I just need to remove whatever triggers the door locks and flashers. Might have a look at it this weekend, could be simple it sounds.
Back to top Go down
Gixxer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
Gixxer

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 pm

i bet the battery is dead in the remote...I would check that first before you rip it out

dlinsbeck wrote:
if Street Dreamz did it right, you should be able to just snip the modules out and be back to normal.

this would work if they just tapped into the wires. then all you would have to do is wrap the wire in electrical tape just in case it hits metal. But the question here is if Street Dreamz did it right!
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:03 pm

You lucky I was never around when you started the car and the alarm went off......

Dispatch: 911, whats your emergancy?

Me: Oh my god I just witnessed someone stealing a car. I knew he looked suspicious. Please get someone out here right away. I think he is armed!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Gixxer wrote:
i bet the battery is dead in the remote...I would check that first before you rip it out

dlinsbeck wrote:
if Street Dreamz did it right, you should be able to just snip the modules out and be back to normal.

this would work if they just tapped into the wires. then all you would have to do is wrap the wire in electrical tape just in case it hits metal. But the question here is if Street Dreamz did it right!

Yep..That was why I threw that one in...I have seen their work lately!
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:43 pm

If installed correctly there should be a valet switch, should only be a matter of flipping that switch and you wouldn't have to remove anything.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Not the remote, this is the two way pager/remote, so I have a battery bar and a graphical display.

Street Dreamz did good work back then, they still do pretty good tint work from what I've seen, but their good installers are long gone.

I will look into the valet switch idea too.
Back to top Go down
bobdogwv
bobdogwv

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

typically they are hidden around the foot-well, I've seen some shops hide them in or around the glove compartment. If you can see the actual unit you might be able to trace some wires to the switch. If that fails you may be able to pull the main fuse for the unit as well.
Back to top Go down
tkromer
ADMIN/MODERATOR
tkromer

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Pulling the module did the trick. I went ahead and spent an extra hour and pulled the antenna, both glassbreak sensors and two shock sensors.

My battery has been draining faster as of late too (since I only drive it once a week or less), and this seems to have helped with that too -- my idle voltage is .5-.7v higher than it had been being. Must have had something shorted out inside the module.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL   Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Viper Alarm/Remote Start UNINSTALL
Page 1 of 1