Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 1974 VW Beetle

Go down 
+6
Blacked Out
D-Rod
91foxbody
dlinsbeck
MotownG5
Alex98CVPI
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm

The story begins, haha.

I grew up watching all of the Herbie the Love Bug movies. Because of that I was (and still am) a big vintage VW fan (and a bit of a closet Herbie geek). So, in November of 1994, when I was 4 years old, my dad took me for a ride and we came home with Wolfgang, our '74 Beetle.

I pretty much grew up sitting in the driver's seat, pretending to drive. I also helped dad work on it when it needed to be fixed. Over the years, the car has been a fixture in our family. Cars have come and gone, years have passed, and yet the Beetle has always been there for us. I do my best to take care of it, but most times end up making any problem it has worse. But, I try, lol. I have big plans for this car which will take a very long time to come to fruition, but there's nothing wrong with that. Anyway, onto the pictures!

Me with the car 1999-2001:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My high school senior picture 2009:

The 2011 Pittsburgh Classic VW Show. 2nd place air-cooled daily driver:

And for the random pics.

1600cc Dual Port flat four:

Hanging out with Kaleb and a mutual friend:

I'll be adding to this some of the funnier stories that have happened over the years. So, stay tuned, lol.
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 pm

nice man, looking forward to seeing more
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Hmm.....Hopefully cruising around with Kaleb, they don't leave you to far behind! I love the older Beetles. Nice looking ride!
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:49 pm

it's hard to kill those dual port 1600cc engines. my neighbor had a huge collection of classic VW parts. gotta love those bugs.
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Looks good! Rachel was supposed to inherit her grandpaps beetle but they moved and had no room to keep it. Would have been cool to cruize around in them together.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm

I was really impressed with the leg room. ITs alot more than our car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks everyone! Dave L., Kaleb and his dad are pretty mild behind the wheel, he's only left me behind once and it was on an uphill interstate on-ramp, lol.

Dave R., cruising with you and Rachel in her (almost) Beetle would have been a lot of fun. There aren't too many around here anymore.
Back to top Go down
mitch_way13
mitch_way13

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 pm

My uncle had one for about 3 days. Brought it home, showed everyone, got drunk and rolled it. Wasn't too bad though, the after pictures just showed a few dents on the roof. Always thought they were cool little cars.
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:04 pm

A buddy of mine used to have this: a 1970 Beetle with a 1876cc dual port and dual Wbber Carb

I'd like to have one to make a Baja bug

Or get monster hp out of one (engine swap most likely, either something else VW or an STI engine)
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:07 pm

My brother used to have a Beetle when I was younger. I remember when we were young and it snowed, we would go to the local KMart in Charleston and do donuts! That thing was like a ski in deep snow! Sadly, a Dr. t-boned him at a 4 way stop. Totaled the car!
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm

91foxbody wrote:
A buddy of mine used to have this: a 1970 Beetle with a 1876cc dual port and dual Wbber Carb

I'd like to have one to make a Baja bug

Or get monster hp out of one (engine swap most likely, either something else VW or an STI engine)

I'd stick with a VW flat four. It doesn't seem like it, but you can do a lot with one power-wise.
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 2:13 pm

The saga of the tennis ball:

Back in 2009, I was a senior at UHS. Every year there was a festival day with a lot of games and random crap to do, including a car show. That year the car show and field hockey were next to each other. And, the field hockey people were using tennis balls. Well, the car show ended up getting peppered with tennis balls. They didn't hurt anything, but were annoying as hell!

Anyway, one ball came flying over Kaleb's Saleen and hit the Beetle right below the rear quarter window on the driver's side. It was loud! And, I wasn't too happy. The ball was recovered and I resisted the urge to shove it up the behind of the person who hit it. When I got home, an idea hit me:

It now lives in my glove box, lol.
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Alex98CVPI wrote:
The saga of the tennis ball:

Back in 2009, I was a senior at UHS. Every year there was a festival day with a lot of games and random crap to do, including a car show. That year the car show and field hockey were next to each other. And, the field hockey people were using tennis balls. Well, the car show ended up getting peppered with tennis balls. They didn't hurt anything, but were annoying as hell!

Anyway, one ball came flying over Kaleb's Saleen and hit the Beetle right below the rear quarter window on the driver's side. It was loud! And, I wasn't too happy. The ball was recovered and I resisted the urge to shove it up the behind of the person who hit it. When I got home, an idea hit me:

It now lives in my glove box, lol.

hehehe
"Hey! Can we have our..."
"NO"
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:05 pm

2many2choose wrote:

hehehe
"Hey! Can we have our..."
"NO"

Ya know, I sometimes feel a little bad about yelling at Justin. Mainly because he didn't do it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Guido
Guido

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:46 am

OMG! OMG! OMG! I LOOOOOOOVE the beetle! I previously owned a 71 Super Beetle but sold it when I got married. I don't regret the marriage but I sorely regret selling the beetle. If you ever see a fat old woman drooling over your car, that's probably me. I can also appreciate the Crown Vic. Another one of my loves is a 1980's car with very little following.... I'm looking for a 1983 Pontiac 6000 coupe. Yes, they made them and Yes, they're rare. Another car I regret selling.
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks! Sometimes it's the less mainstream cars that catch my fancy. Without them, car shows would only consist of Mustangs and '57 Chevies.

I really need to update this thread, lol. It is way behind.
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 pm

The Beetle has changed a bit over this year (all of this happened back in the spring. I just never got around to updating the thread, lol). So far, I have repainted the steel factory sport wheels, did a litle polishing of the paint, and installed a 4'' glasspack muffler for a few more ponies (and to just piss off people).

The wheels before:

After sanding and painting:

The exhaust has to be the most fun modification I've ever done to a car. At first start, it was LOUD! It has calmed down quite a bit over the last few months, though.

Original VS aftermarket:

Other than the tips, when the car is off the untrained eye wouldn't notice much. Installed:

Video to come after it uploads.
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Here is the vieo of the exhaust shortly after it was installed:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MotownG5
FCP Owner and President of 304KustomZ Car Club
MotownG5

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 6:58 pm

the wheels look great and I love the exhaust... this beetle is awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3916575/2009-pontiac-g5-coupe-2d
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks, Aaron!
Back to top Go down
silverflatty
silverflatty

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm

nice lookin beetle!

hopfully paying for mine next week.. might have to hit you up for some VW help.. haha even tho our plans seem totally different for the bugs.. lol
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm no expert with these things, but I'll help you to the best of my ability. Our plans are a bit different, but a air-cooled VW is an air-cooled VW, lol.
Back to top Go down
silverflatty
silverflatty

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 pm

nvm.. guy sold the bug. :(

looking at another car tomorrow evening.. keeping it in the Mazda family (i have a mazda 3)
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 am

That's too bad. Good luck with the Mazda!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The 1974 VW Beetle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 1974 VW Beetle   The 1974 VW Beetle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 1974 VW Beetle
Page 1 of 1