Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saleen exhaust modification

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
2many2choose
2many2choose

Saleen exhaust modification Empty
PostSubject: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Alrighty, so here's the car in question.

Saleen exhaust modification 270201_115675365191379_100002467484342_132281_5831660_n

So, Saleen put a really sweet active exhaust on these.
Saleen exhaust modification Saleen_05-09_S281_Center_Exhaust_246

Light throttle and around town, it runs through the center tips, under full throttle, those dumps open up and make a world of difference. If I'm not mistaken, they're vacuum operated. And there's a return spring that holds them open. Would thus mean, if I were to unhook the vacuum lines and plug them, would it run with the dumps open all the time? If so, oh buddy. That'd be awesome lmao Anybody see any flaw in the logic?
Back to top Go down
Alex98CVPI
Alex98CVPI

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 am

'Tis worth a shot...
Back to top Go down
dlinsbeck
ADMIN/MODERATOR
dlinsbeck

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:16 am

Don't see any issue with it. The logic sounds solid. Might ask D-Rod. His vette has the same type of exhaust, almost. He hooked up a switch to his so he could control it manually.
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 am

Do you have a fuse for the exhaust? Mine is also vacuum but electronically controlled. In stock configuration they opened at 3500. As soon as I got the car I pulled the fuse and that made them stay open all the time.

Then I started getting complaints in the neighborhood about my car so I put an "Add-a-circuit" into my fuse box. If yours works the same way it is very simple.

The Add-a-circuit has two slots to put fuses in. Put a fuse in one slot and cut a fuse in half and put it in the other. Solder a wire to the fuse leg you cut in half. The Add-a-circuit already has a wire coming from it. So take that wire and also the one you soldered to the fuse and run them to a toggle switch. If your toggle switch has a light like mine, you will need to add a ground wire to make it work.

The switch I got fits in your cigarette lighter so with a little modification to the cigarette lighter, its a clean installation.

Bring the car by my house sometime and we can see what all you need.
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:24 pm

D-Rod wrote:
Do you have a fuse for the exhaust? Mine is also vacuum but electronically controlled. In stock configuration they opened at 3500. As soon as I got the car I pulled the fuse and that made them stay open all the time.

Then I started getting complaints in the neighborhood about my car so I put an "Add-a-circuit" into my fuse box. If yours works the same way it is very simple.

The Add-a-circuit has two slots to put fuses in. Put a fuse in one slot and cut a fuse in half and put it in the other. Solder a wire to the fuse leg you cut in half. The Add-a-circuit already has a wire coming from it. So take that wire and also the one you soldered to the fuse and run them to a toggle switch. If your toggle switch has a light like mine, you will need to add a ground wire to make it work.

The switch I got fits in your cigarette lighter so with a little modification to the cigarette lighter, its a clean installation.

Bring the car by my house sometime and we can see what all you need.

Nope, it's all vacuum operated. They open up with the engine and throttle input rather than a certain rpm. We may not screw with it until after winter but who knows. Also, our neighbor's don't mind, we've had the racecar at the house with open headers and they all come see what it is :llooll:
Back to top Go down
D-Rod
ADMIN/MODERATOR
D-Rod

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm

So the vacuum opens the valves for the dumps right? If not you can just pull the vacuum lines but I am guessing the vacumm switches them to the dumped side.
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:27 pm

if it were me, i'd look into doing something like what D-rod did. have a way to manually turn it on and off. but if you want it open all the time. i'd say just unplug the vacuum lines and give it a shot, worst case scenario is they don't work and you put it back together.
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

The pods on the dumps are spring loaded, the engine at idle pulls the valves closed. Add more throttle, the more they open. When the car is off, the valves are open. We're thinking about unhooking the lines and plugging them. That way the springs will keep the valves opened.

We kinda do things all the way or no way lmao It sounds 100x better with the dumps open and like you said, we can always hook them back up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saleen exhaust modification   Saleen exhaust modification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saleen exhaust modification
Page 1 of 1