Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody do any towing?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
2many2choose
2many2choose

Anybody do any towing? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Just took this picture today of the 2003 Expedition hooked up to the racecar trailer with Foxrod inside. Gonna use this rig and haul up to PRP for the Night of Fire. Roughly 7-8k lbs hooked to the ball. Kinda cool seeing the half-ton squat in the rear lol I'll have to search for a bit to find the F-250 and F-350 hooked up and how they squat, the 3/4 ton kinda squats down level but the 1 ton stays sturdy lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am

just some atvs

but here is our real tow rig
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 am

We tow the boat. Our truck hates us for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 am

i've hauled a 210 barrel tank on a 16ft trailer with out 2500HD work truck... and also almost every size pumping jack on the same trailer- lol
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Tyler, That's a big F350! What do you tow with it?

Scott, what size boat and what kind of truck?

Wright, I bet that can get interesting lol Does the 3/4 ton Chevy tow it all fine?
Back to top Go down
91foxbody
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
91foxbody

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 pm

see that trailer in the back of the pic? that about a one ton trailer. we've used that thing to haul our tractors and farm equipment. we used to have a 35ft long 5th wheel camper to take to the beach. that thing will rip our house off it's foundation.
Back to top Go down
WrightHeight
ADMIN/MODERATOR
WrightHeight

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm

the 210 tank was a challenge trying to back with it on and bringing it down the oil field roads but the weight wasn't huge just big and then the pump jacks pull pretty easy... we put the weights on when we get it there so the only thing in the air is the arms and beam... i've never had to haul anything that was real heavy and big with it the most i've hauled was about 5 tons of junk on a trailer but it was with our old truck 2000 gmc 2500hd and we can't break it but it would only get up to 40 on hills and it wanted to move around a good bit.... the 2000 has 180,000 miles on it and all of it is towing or oil field work... no engine or tranny problems yet... wish i had a late 90's early 2000 to play around in...

sorry for the rant....
Back to top Go down
http://friendlycarpeople.com
SnowXRacer
SnowXRacer

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Here is my rig all hooked up. The trailer is for the snowmobiles. Holds 4 plus gear, gas, and tools if they are packed in tight.

Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Our rig above.. its pretty slow, actually pretty slow isnt the word for it, but thank god the lake is only a mile away.
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Dang, you guys tow some sweet stuff lol

Wright, you're lucky to have gone that long with no leaks! My '86 Chevy with the 350 hates, and I mean HATES our black trailer. It leaks oil like crazy when stressed.

Snow racer, how much do you think that trailer weighs and how does that new Tundra pull it? I've heard they've got some great power but like any half-ton truck I imagine it has the usual frame flex.

Scott, that's slow? Is it a V6?
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 pm

4.6 with 273 gears. Its a flat lander truck that I got a good deal on, its paid off, so I will keep it.. lol
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 pm

ScottHofferPhotography wrote:
4.6 with 273 gears. Its a flat lander truck that I got a good deal on, its paid off, so I will keep it.. lol

Ahhhh I see. Yeah, the 4.6 is a strong motor but my God I feel bad for it with the 2.73s :llooll: I bet it gets great gas mileage though!
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:25 pm

2many2choose wrote:

Ahhhh I see. Yeah, the 4.6 is a strong motor but my God I feel bad for it with the 2.73s [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I bet it gets great gas mileage though!

It does, what would it take to change the gears over to 4:10 in the front and rear? I never drive it over 60-65mph anyways.
I could use the extra gearing going to the lake and back. My old 01 F350 7.3 had 4:10's and I loved the torque, not to mention, I loved the motor too.
Back to top Go down
SnowXRacer
SnowXRacer

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 pm

The tundra doesn't even blink with that trailer hooked to it. Seriously the ride down the highway at 70mph is nice and smooth. Now the thing I do notice is I get about 10 MPG but that is expected. It has the 5.7L in it. The trailer is all aluminum so I can't guess a weight. 4 snowmobiles weigh about 2000 lbs so add the trailer in and its not light. The only thing I added to the truck was a prodigy 3 brake controller.
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm

It does, what would it take to change the gears over to 4:10 in the front and rear? I never drive it over 60-65mph anyways.
I could use the extra gearing going to the lake and back. My old 01 F350 7.3 had 4:10's and I loved the torque, not to mention, I loved the motor too.

Well, you'd have to buy the gears, then just for preventative maintenance I'd get a differential overhaul kit then you need a tuner to calibrate the speedometer. As for prices, I can't be certain. It'd be a little pricey with labor included.

Oh man, I love the 7.3! Ours has a little softer gears, I think it has 3.55s.

SnowXRacer wrote:

The tundra doesn't even blink with that trailer hooked to it. Seriously the ride down the highway at 70mph is nice and smooth. Now the thing I do notice is I get about 10 MPG but that is expected. It has the 5.7L in it. The trailer is all aluminum so I can't guess a weight. 4 snowmobiles weigh about 2000 lbs so add the trailer in and its not light. The only thing I added to the truck was a prodigy 3 brake controller.

Same here with my 5.8L F250. It gets around 10mpg too. My trailer is a 20ft box with 4ft tongue, torsion bar suspension and 4 wheel electric brakes and is 3000lbs empty. If yours is a similar size, then loaded it would be around 5,000 lbs. That is a pretty hefty load, man. Have you ever pulled the Cooper's Rock mountain portion of I68 with it loaded? What speed does it pull it?
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 11:38 pm

What is pricey?
Back to top Go down
2many2choose
2many2choose

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 pm

What is pricey?

For example, just gears for foxrod is ~$130. Plus figure on a shop charging for labor. Could be a couple hundred bucks once it's all done. Less than $500 though.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 pm

I thought you were gonna say 2000 or something.. 3-500 is totally great with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody do any towing?   Anybody do any towing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody do any towing?
Page 1 of 1