Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I want a new exhaust for my scion tc

Go down 
+3
Blacked Out
wv_wagon
morganelyse802
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club

I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I want a new exhaust for my scion tc   I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 pm

wv_wagon wrote:
MotownG5 wrote:
I will pass on some advice.... intake and cat back alone will, be cool... but if you do add headers, you'll prolly have to have it tuned.

That is not necessarily true.
My Cavalier had I/H/E and lightened crank pulley for two years before I ported the head went with a different t/b, etc. before I had it tuned.

Granted all cars are different but I know alot of folks with the Scion platform and went without a tune.

Now my WRX, it seems every little thing you do requires a tune which is why I am lumping it up into one big build.

Headers/CAI/High-Flo Cat/3inch Exhaust required a tune on our car. IT ran like crap after installing that stuff until we had it tuned.
Honestly it would barely run.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
jolly roger
jolly roger

PostSubject: Re: I want a new exhaust for my scion tc   I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Ok this is what it all boils down to.. The ECU. If the ecu is a learning/friendly ECU then depending on the mods it prob will be ok after driving X - amount of miles for it to relearn it's parameters. If it isn't or doesn't like new things then a tune is in your future. Which brings me to my next point. Anytime you put header/s, manifolds, F/I, you prob should get a tune (if your car/truck has the support for parts then 9/10 someone can tune your car whether it be mail order or on a dyno... Yes some can get away without having a tune but a tune (depending on what kind and how it's done) will net you better results and performance for you mods...
Back to top Go down
wv_wagon

PostSubject: Re: I want a new exhaust for my scion tc   I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 pm

ScottHofferPhotography wrote:
wv_wagon wrote:
MotownG5 wrote:
I will pass on some advice.... intake and cat back alone will, be cool... but if you do add headers, you'll prolly have to have it tuned.

That is not necessarily true.
My Cavalier had I/H/E and lightened crank pulley for two years before I ported the head went with a different t/b, etc. before I had it tuned.

Granted all cars are different but I know alot of folks with the Scion platform and went without a tune.

Now my WRX, it seems every little thing you do requires a tune which is why I am lumping it up into one big build.

Headers/CAI/High-Flo Cat/3inch Exhaust required a tune on our car. IT ran like crap after installing that stuff until we had it tuned.
Honestly it would barely run.

As I said I am only speaking on personal experience. Some cars do, some don't. I do personally know of three Scion TC's of various years that had I/H/E of friends back home in KY and they did not require a tune. I simply don't want someone forking out the $$ when it is not necessarily needed. This is where researching on some of the model specific forums come in handy.

With fly by wire being the new thing, computers controlling everything, etc, some newer model cars do require tunes with minimal mods and then some don't. The only experience I have ever had with the Soltice/Sky platform were turbo versions and all were tuned with HP Tuners or something similar so I honestly can't speak of any other experiences with them than that. But even with Cobalt SS's and Ion Redlines, they all required tunes, but again we were speaking of forced induction motors.

I haven't worked with non-forced induction four bangers for nearly 6-7 years but usually if you didn't have extensive engine work, a tune wasn't needed. But then again, times have changed in that time frame.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamhardyboys.com
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: I want a new exhaust for my scion tc   I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 pm

ours is tuned with Hptuners as well. I was just saying our car ran like crap with the mods. I know some peoples car learns the new stuff and they are okay, and then some ecm's get tuned and then they relearn the old tune (or forget the new tune) and go back to the way they used to be before the tune and do not take advantage of the new parts anymore.

New cars and adding stuff is very tricky. I do recommend her getting on a scion forum only and having them talk to her about what mods she can do without a tune. I agree completely with that. Tuning is expensive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want a new exhaust for my scion tc   I want a new exhaust for my scion tc - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I want a new exhaust for my scion tc
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2