Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FCP HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HID retrofit and painted housings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wv_wagon

HID retrofit and painted housings Empty
PostSubject: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 pm

So after staring at my HID's for over two months, I braved the chilly weather to finally install my HID's.

This is a complete retrofit courtesy of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I know some people go the cheap route with HIDS but I like to do things the right way. While the lights were out I took it upon myself to go on and black out the headlight housing. The system itself allowed for replacing the current projector housing. (note in the pics the size difference of the OEM projector to aftermarket). Doing so allows for a sharp, proper cutoff, and at the same time will prevent glare from occuring (the lighting is dead on). This prevents blinding other drives and allows for an OEM finish. In the end I went with the 4300K kit which allows for a super white lighting output. Previously I ran a 5000k and from my experience, anything over that really ruins the purpose for an HID upgrade.

Total time from start to finish: 8 hours.

Step 1: Headlight removed from car.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Step 2:Headlight and housing seperated.
DS2 Housing compared to OEM (notice how small the new housing is)
Backside of housing:
Screw that removes reflector from housing:
Housing pre paint:
Dremeled slot for all wiring:
New housing installed:
Straight shot:
Full car view:
Final Product:
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamhardyboys.com
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks good, I would like to see some night Pictures. I have 15000K in the Solstice and I can see a hundred times better than stock with them. What brand of HID did you go with? I have NottoSe from CarId's website.

That is what Snaxx is running on here too, just bairly blue, and really freaking bright.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <--- Link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
wv_wagon

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I'll have to get some night pictures sometime tomorrow.

The kit was from "the retrofit source". To be honest I am not sure what brand they use (though I think the ballasts are phillips). They came with a full kit for doing the HID retrofit from the wiring to the DS2 bulbs. Much of the wiring was not necessary though. I ended up splicing and soldering the low-beam wiring directing into the ballast. The cool thing was the ballast mounted perfectly to the bottom of the headlight housing. Though the projector is half the size, lighting output is amazing. Plus there isn't any glare which is motorist friendly. The only downside is it caused my ecu to throw an check engine code which I had to clear.
Back to top Go down
Blacked Out
5000 Post Club
5000 Post Club
Blacked Out

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:24 pm

It thinks your lights are out probably. I had to clear that in the solstice the first time I put them on. Never came on again.
What kinda code reader you use? Mine will test while driving and or with the car off. I like the driving mode cause you can download it to the computer and actually see whats going on, on a bigger screen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendlycarpeople.com
wv_wagon

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 pm

I know mine is directly related to the DRL's but I haven't taken the time yet to pull the fuse for it. It's located behind the glovebox and cabin filter (yes a car with a cabin filter is odd).

As far as what I use to read the code is what they call an Accessport. In the Subie community its the tuner to use. You can tune, download maps, etc. But you can also clear codes, data log, etc. For $600 bucks not a bad little tool to have.
Back to top Go down
Southtown57
Southtown57

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 am

Nice, I got all my stuff from the Retro Fit Source as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
StitchWerx
500 Post Club
500 Post Club
StitchWerx

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:28 pm

ddmtuning.com has a really good deal on custom applications for hid kits. i have them for my focus and they have a lifetime warranty that is legit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stitchwerx.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HID retrofit and painted housings   HID retrofit and painted housings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HID retrofit and painted housings
Page 1 of 1